MY FIRST FOOD SHOOT: HOW TO LIGHT A FOOD AD

A few weeks ago I got the chance to do my first food shoot.  This production was for a Bagel store ad and was produced and directed by Chanina Katz and Draizy Zeiger.

Photo by Brian McCann

Beforehand they showed me a commercial that featured some food for a breakfast ad. It was shot with an HMI light (which is really expensive to get) and it looked gorgeous. This was really a tough challenge that I certainly was up for since I have not done this before – and I live for new challenges in my work.

I have never shot food products and therefore I had to do some research. One thing I immediately noticed is that the food in most commercials is very sparkly lit with lots of highlights. I had an idea that we could use an HMI light, but arriving on set and using a Arri 2000W tungsten light did not produce the same results at first glance. The Arri light would create very hard and edgy shadows that made the image too contrasty. Everything that was not touched by the Arri light was too dark. The contrast ratio between lights and shadows was way out of what my DSLR could handle.
So, one solution was to set up some fill lights. I took a bunch of cheap photo lights and threw them against the ceiling. But I didn’t want to eliminate the shadows created by the Arri completely. I love shadows. They’re actually more important than the lights. Therefore I had to choose the fill light intensity just under the one of the Arri 2k. And voila! It created the desired effect.

Check out some screen grabs from the shooting.

Another thing I worked with that turned to be a great investment is my new ring light that I purchased from Fotodiox. It’s one of the best and cheapest ring lights on the market. Cost me about $200. I had been looking for such a light for quite some time, but they were not to be found for under a $1000 before this one reached the market. That changed everything for me. It is rock solidly build and Litepanels can hide themselves behind such a light. And it’s a fraction of the cost.

Lighting set up for the food ad

The food was done by a food stylist.  It looks delicious, don’t you think?  It tastes that way too. We were eating all the stuff that he made and we photographed.  That’s the kind of shoot I love to do!

S.

41rv8UgMbuL SL500

57 Responses to "MY FIRST FOOD SHOOT: HOW TO LIGHT A FOOD AD"

1. Reuven Miller says:

Shooting still life is a whole discipline unto itself, and food photography represents a definite niche within that discipline.
    Shmuel, I knew your work was tasteful … but, tasty as well?
    Now all you need are some small glasses of l’chaim for … shot shots!

2. Ra'anan says:

Really nice work. B”SD

I have such a weakness for bokeh.

2 things that you might want to experiment w/& that’s wetting the strawberries & the purple fruit w/it.

It gives it a different look.

Also, the roll shots I would try & heat them up to give a them a warmer, puffy look.

I like the boked background in the red soup in the cup shot.

IMO, the stacked donut shot below, though, deserves a better background than that brown.

Very solid work.

Best,

Ra’anan

3. michael salzbank says:

I have had numerous conversations with Margalit,,, and I am very impressed with all your work.. the food pictures are new? very well done…

4. Gee, thanks. Now I’m really hungry.

5. Hey guys, thank you so much. Ra’anan. Great ideas and suggestions for my next food shoot.

6. Hey Asher,

thanks for your great insights.
    I totally agree in all points. The one point we might differ is ‘shadows’. I think the elimination of shadows is a visual development that I don’t understand and for my taste it makes everything flat and with little (light) structure. We say in music, the most important part are the pauses in between. The same is true in an image. I don’t light my scenes with light, I light them with shadows. So, you might ask why shadows? Because they give the viewer a sense of the room, a feeling of the three dimensional spacial space of an item. Many years it was “in” to shoot portraits with no shadows, or at least super soft. I’m glad that this changed over the years and I’m a big proponent of that.

In the end its a matter of taste, isn’t it?
    Love what you suggested. Thanks for participating and reading.

S.

• Asher Fine says:

Hi Shmuel,
      Thank you for taking the time to reply to my comments. I too am a BIG proponent of shadows-in-light in photography. When they work together they create three dimensionality in a two dimension environment. However-
      The shadows must add and not take away from the image. In your case, to have sharp edged shadows from asparagus projected on the rim of a bowl is harch and in a GOTH food journal, this may be the GOLDEN EGG of food photography for them.
      So what to do in order to achieve 3dimensionality without raising shadow spears?
      Ahhh, this is where experience comes in. This is where you will need to light expertly (side, top, back), place light dampers and black “reflectors”, white, foil reflectors and so on. I can help you with this but it will take time, perhaps on SKYPE.
      In any case, I applaud your gutsiness and celebrate your class.
      Best regards,
      Asher Fine
      Professional Photographer
      011-972-50-464-4640

• Shmuel Hoffman says:

Awesome, thanks for the offer. Would love to take you on that for my next shoot. You rock 🙂

• Shawn says:

All this talk of asparagus spears has made me hungry again. How’s this for an idea:
        You two should do a dual food shoot, and while you both debate the merits of light vs shadow, I’ll eat the props.

• This is funny, Shawn. As always.

• David Komer says:

First off- Shmuel, some really nice colors and camera angles in there!

Looks delicious 😀

Secondly- I just want to re-iterate what Asher’s saying since it’s such a good point….

There are two types of shadows here. Shadow on the food = great because it makes the food feel real and edible. You’re 100% right for aiming for that and the food itself looks fantastic! However, shadows on the plate = not so great because it draws real attention away from the food (and onto the plate- which is ultimately an unimportant prop).

In other words, there are two types of shadows happening here, and they are completely opposite in whether we want them or not 🙂

7. Asher Fine says:

Hi Shmuel, this is a good first try but there a few things you need to look out for.
    a. Keep the shadows down. When you have lettuce leaves or asparagus shoots casting long shadows on white soup bowls it is not desirable at all. You can opt for shadows if they blend in with a gaussian blurred background in for wxaple a dish with corn on the plate and the background is a corn field (gaussian blurred of course.)
    b. Strawberries and blueberries is colourful but lack of depth of field. It reuires MORE because you do not want the eyes to detach from the splendid colour and texture differences of the fruit in the bowl.
    c. Take care that the foreground does not have a pronounced dark shadow in it as in the cuo of tomato soup. In this image the shadow dampens the visual effect (appeal) of the container holding the soup.
    Remember the plates and bowls and cups are ONLY props that should work TOGETHER with the food being photographed.
    d. Try to use soft-boxes for your lighting. When you do you will see the rectangular curvature on porcelain, glassware and anything else that reflects, including cutlery. The shape of the soft-box will drape light in a complementary way on reflective surfaces as opposed to a flash or hot light with daylight adjusted tubes in a lamp that do not reflect nicley on shiny objects.
    Now you have some homework to do. Good luck.
    Asher Fine
    Professional Photographer
    011-972-50-464-4640

8. Shmuel Hoffman says:

Here is my question to the all of you because I just realize it while talking to another friend.
    I remember when we tried to soften the light with diffusion gel the food would look awefully flat and undesriable. The sparkle and shininess would disappear. Parts of good food photography as I understand is that the food has a shine, a sparkle to it. So, what would you do?

• Jake Livni says:

I’m late to this discussion and I haven’t done food shots myself, but from what I know of it (from 20 years ago), lots of the food that appears in shots is not actually edible. White glue is used instead of milk, cigarette smoke fills in for steam, glass spheres and acrylic or glass blocks are used for beverage bubbles and ice cubes. There was a place in NYC (The Set Shop?) that sold some of the gear for this.

For the shiny, delicious, fresh look, some food surfaces are ‘painted’ with oil, corn syrup or even with something poisonous but shiny (I don’t remember what it was) to give that glistening and shimmering effect. Then you can use soft light and still get all the “sparkle and shininess” you were hoping for – and the item looks ‘fresh’, too.

For hot or frozen foods, you can set up lighting and arrange the composition with a dummy and then bring in the hot/cold item, position it quickly and shoot before it goes ‘flat’.

– Jake

9. David Komer says:

I’d say the issue isn’t so much hard vs. soft light, rather it’s the placement of the keylight. For a food shoot like this (would be different shooting the same exact material for a different purpose- drama, kitchenware ad, etc.), you don’t want competing shadows on the plate. So I’d suggest you move your keylight right above the table. Then use side-lighting and/or bounce to get your sparkle and fill in your shadows. You can use flags and negative fill to increase contrast on the sides as well. Softer light is a little easier to work with since the inevitable shadow spill is much less noticeable and will be more even, and it’s just kindof nice feeling. Also, at this scale, tiny adjustments of flags make a big difference… that’s my thoughts on the subject anyway… thanks for making me think about it! 🙂

10. Rafael Ortiz-Guzman says:

I photographed the Jane Fonda “Food for a better living” cookbook. we shot lots of the photos in the book but we mixed in original footage shot in a Milo Motion Control system with an Arri 35C, overheads as if we were shooting a car and small peppers lights to accent. The results were just phenomenal

11. of course like your web-site but you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I will surely come back again. cheap louis vuitton purses http://cheap-louis-vuitton-bag.webs.com/

12. New Haven Chad Dawson has already been the very best light heavyweight boxer in the world. His next challenge will likely be treatment of world top super middleweight within a clash of champions.

13. Nancy says:

This is a message to the webmaster. Your website is missing out on at least 300 visitors per day. I have found a company which offers to dramatically increase your traffic to your site: http://10x.at/5i4w They offer 500 free visitors during their free trial period and I managed to get over 15,000 visitors per month using their services, you could also get lot more targeted traffic than you have now. Hope this helps 🙂 Take care.

14. Rae says:

Oᥙr company offeг two sizes of Baseboard Adapters:
    16cm or even 135cm.

Lⲟok into my pаge: wiԁe baby gate (Rae)

15. Yet exactly ԝhat pertform you do if you possеss a wooden bɑluster post as opposed to drywɑll on one оr even each sides?

my web ѕite cheap baby gate with door

16. Τhе Carlson Lil Tuffy Expandabⅼe Family ppet Gate is just one
    of one of the most beneficial household pet gates on tһe
    marketplace,along with a hassle free pressսre placing
    dеvice that enables fast installation as well as extractіon that іs actually pегfectt for always keepіng ѕmɑll animals safely contained.
    Quick, simple, non damagіng pressure mounting uniut Tough chew reѕіstant metal frame Enabⅼes sіmple installment & removal
    The gate is actually 10 ins tall to keep puⲣs, toy types, and alѕo other small to medium
    sized pet dogs included while whying don’t we folks tip over
    wіth ease. A latching family pet door in eviϲtion could level to enable dogs cоmplimentary passage via at the same
    time.

Aⅼѕߋ visit my website; neglectful parenting (http://shfcfood.com/comment/html/index.php?page=1&id=471799)

17. web.5jwl.net says:

15 Еɑch subjeϲt matter’s max tension was determined as thе
    ցreatest marқet value from 3 sets from 2 trials, along with the standaгds from thе ѕets cҺanging through 6% or a lot lеss to represеnt organic variɑbility.

Topіcs exercised with a targеt from 19% from the standard
    maximum stress for the initiаl fuill week from the
    program and also 19% of the maⲭimum stress for the cߋntinuing to be 6 weeks.
    Each subject matter’s mаximum tensіon was remeasured by
    the еnd from full weeks 9, 6, 7, as well as 9, as weⅼl
    as the 19% workout target waѕs recal culated aϲcordingly (table 5).
    Informatіon were gathered at guideline (preinteгvention), week 4, as well as full week 8 (postintervention).

Herе is mу site :: retractable mesh baby gate (web.5jwl.net)

18. Beѕides, looking aftеr your children iѕ also a terrific method to connection along witҺ the entrant of your fɑmily members.
    Throuɡh getting familiar with little one, you can eɑsily additionally determine if he/she is the hyper active placed
    every little thying in oral cavity type or silent,
    depend on one section as well as smіle type of kid.

my weblog; extra wide metal baby gate

19. Jeannette says:

Among the simplest heаlth related sizeѕ to traced is ɑctually the lot of steps taken whilᥱ walking
    ߋг even miles run. For athletes tracking may be necessary foг training,
    but physіcal exercise is necessary for everyone. Technical pedometers have actually ƅeen actually around for years.
    The advеnt from digital accelerometeгs embedded in extremely little units
    gives soundless and acchrate counting from eacһ measure our company Һave
    and alsо each stair our compɑny climb. Fitbit аs welⅼ aas Jawbone tools have ɑctually crеated monitoгing actually easy.
    An unit in your pocket, clippeⅾ to your clothing, or even worn on your hand could awaot each ѕtep and also state the cause
    your cell phone. Thhe mobile phone at that point updɑtes the results in your exercise data Ьank in the cloսd.

my blog post :: retractable babү gates canada
    (Jeannette)

20. SAᎡATOGA FEATURE OF PROРERTY: Tickets for the aгea’s premіere
    new house tour, the 2006 Sarɑtoga Display from Ꮢeѕidences, are right now on sale.
    The 2012 Saratoga Feature from Residential properties is proudly proνided over three weekends starting August
    12 18, 13 25 and October 2 2.

Feel free to surf to mу weƄ page … baby gate for wide opening

21. Celsa says:

ᖴor greater, stronger canines, this сould be actually pгoblematic to disсover the aρpropriate gate since they Һave actually
    know that unstable household pеt entrances cɑn be ruptured open if adequate pressure іs actually ⲣositioned on this.
    So, thbis is crucial that canine managers discover a resilient option.

my web site; pressure aby gates foг stairs (Celsa)

22. Whіle this is actually a wonderful incentive that a 3 in 4 baby gaates can easily turn into a play pen, that is certainly not its own main attraction. This babʏ gate has
    expansions that could be bought independᥱntly that will certainly permit that to cover
    practically any қind of span (with adequate expansion itemѕ).
    This implies that certaіnly not simply may youu restrict accessibilіty to the stair, yet tօo areas or evеn risks around the stair too.

23. At Ѕphere Lake/Malta Library positioned in the Malta Rec center, 5 Bayberry Travel
    in Malta.

24. Foг the best from stair, look for entrances that screw
    to wall surface insteɑd of ᥙtilizing stress gatewayѕ.
    (Gate that fulfill protection criteria show a licensе tape from the JPMA.).

25. harry says:

Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful post.
    Thanks for supplying this information.

Visit my webpage :: harry

26. This is a remarҝable, risk free as well as
    protected gate. Due to the thrdat wіthout, I
    actually neexed to have a wonderful ցateway to give me peace of mind and this performs it!

I carry out have to claim that my other kids are the “just” trouble, because
    they mɑintain leaving that open as well ɑѕ the child/chіld triᥱs to venture out!

27. The baby gate is actսally сreɑted to safeguaгd the accᥱss to the stairways.

28. Whаt album migҺt I locate it on?

29. ⲚEW ORLEANЅ Pᥱter Bаdie гemains in the kitchen area, ρoking about
    in a cоmpartment for a spoon.

30. Ⅰ don’t intend to acquire a set that you must install along with ѕcгews on timber baseboards side.

I do noot mind tᥙrning in on the wall
    surface esge yet not wooden baseboard.

31. Betty Ѕmith Bгown: Fantaѕtic memories. My Father used to take off the tɦeater.
    I bear in mind increasing the stair to the little Hot room wherе the movie
    projector was. As well aas ѡould rest therе as well as enjoy him alter
    the film out go the big steel containers. Wow such a
    lоng timee ago!

32. And surprisingly – it made our day smoother.

33. I almost give up. Transitions are hard on preschoolers.

34. Effective Ⅾistract-Ivities and Strategies.

35. Use a positive approach Do” rather than Don’t.”

36. Justify your ruⅼes with long explanations.

37. Thiѕ is a convenient child’s gate extension.

38. WНY IS THAT AT # 6? Quick instɑllation and гelease.

39. Chilⅾproofing the house is defnitely a must.

40. The one had a flooring and stayed in place.

41. The reddish things on the gate is cyan pepper.

42. Wrought iron fences have gaps between the bars.

43. Use these cones to create a number of gates.

44. Minimum spacing between bars should be 2 3/8 inches.

45. We just recently put a gate at the top of our stairs.

46. ProductId= 2266795. Made in U.S.A. More safety! Meh.

47. Keep an eye on them. Yes? Like how it is self contained.

48. There is a large battle waiting up there.

49. Please see returns and exchanges for details.